How to keep your home safe for seniors
This week is National Senior Safety Week, and if you have seniors in your life, it’s important that your home can be accommodating for them in order to prevent accidents and injuries. If you have grandparents living with you, or coming over for the holidays or to visit, here’s some home adaption tips to keep them safe.
- Whatever bedroom a senior is staying in, ideally should be on a main floor. If not possible, have the room easily accessible.
- Have lights that will illuminate the path from the door to the bed if needed.
- Have a flashlight handy or night light.
- Install a grab bar in the bathroom by the bathtub/shower which will help ease seniors in and out safely.
- Install non-slip flooring in the bathroom, or try a bathmat that doesn’t slip.
- Put a rubber mat in the bathtub, these can be easily found at most home and hardware stores.
- Install a handheld showerhead that can be switched on and off.
- Ensure you have adequate lighting at all entrances to the home.
- Keep your walkways clear of ice, snow and other obstacles.
- Have handles or bars near all steps to the home.
- Ensure adequate lighting in all hallways and stairways.
- Ensure handles are sturdy and easily reachable on all stairways.
Closets and storage
- Install lights in all closets.
- Consider installing lower shelves for easier access.
- If a senior lives in your home, consider lowering the cabinets.
- If a senior lives in your home, consider installing pull-out shelves underneath your counters to allow for working from a seated position.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby or in the kitchen.
Falls are one of the most common causes of injury for seniors at home, so some simple practices to prevent this:
- Keep your hallways and stairways clear of clutter.
- Avoid scatter rugs that can easily move if stepped on.
- Proper footwear can be a big preventative measure for seniors, look into indoor footwear with gripped rubber soles.
The Canada Safety Council has a lot more tips for senior safety at home and elsewhere, found right here on their website.