Ideas for making a difference in your community
Tomorrow is Make a Difference Day, and if you’re looking to take this weekend as an opportunity to do something kind, why not start with your community? Here’s some simple ways you can make a difference in your community:
- Donate to a local charity or non-profit: with November around the corner, the holiday season is looming and that means its the busiest time of need for most non-profits. In addition to donating money, you can also consider donating some of your used clothing or furniture you’re getting rid of after fall cleaning. There are a number of organizations in Calgary and Airdrie that are accepting these kinds of donations all the time. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity in mind, ask for a recommendation from friends or family.
- Volunteer your time: whether you decide to help out with a community sports team or organization, serve on a board or volunteer for a non-profit or charity, this is an excellent way to make a difference. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity, check out Volunteering Calgary for a list of opportunities.
- Donate to a local food drive: both Airdrie and Calgary have Food Bank chapters, and this is the time of year they are especially in need of food. You can donate at any time to these organizations, or you can organize your own food drive as well.
- Support local businesses: consider making your next purchases for groceries or other products at local markets or businesses. Supporting local businesses helps boost our economy and keeps entrepreneurs in business.
- Host a community cleanup: show your neighbourhood some love by getting some neighbours together and taking care of some landscaping, or garbage cleanup. A little cleanup will show your community some much-needed appreciation and will keep things looking good in your area.
- Spread good karma: when it’s snowing, take the few extra steps and shovel their walkway when you can, or offer to help them when building a deck or fence. If you have the time and the ability, lend a helping hand.
- Take part in the #LoveYYC movement: if you love your community and your city, share your reasons or photos on social media with the #LoveYYC hashtag. This movement was recently launched to help boost a positive atmosphere in Calgary.
Do you know someone who’s making a difference in your community? Tell us about them on Twitter.