Checklist: get your home ready for Christmas
The countdown is officially on—it’s one month until Christmas! If you’re ready to get your home holiday-ready, we’ve got an easy checklist that will get you organized and decorated in time.
- First thing to do, is get a tree! Daily Hive published this guide on where to buy a Christmas tree in Calgary, though many grocery and hardware stores have them as well.
- If you’re going for a real tree, the fresher the better. Older trees tend to be dryer and can be a fire hazard.
- Cut your tree four centimetres diagonally to absorb water easily.
- Place your tree away from heat sources, never use candles on your tree.
- Avoid electric lights on metallic trees
- Don’t add chemicals to the tree water if you have children or pets.
- Use certified lights only, from organizations such as: CSA, ULC, CUL, etc.
- Use indoor lights inside only, and outdoor lights outside only. Outdoor lights burn too hot for the indoors, and indoor lights aren’t weatherproof for your exterior.
- Inspect your lights before use, check for cracked bulbs and frayed wires on the strings.
- A maximum of three light strands should be connected together.
- Don’t run extension cords under rugs or create tripping hazards.
- Use caution and an assistant to cover you when hanging lights outdoors and in high places, you may also want to try using a light hanger (available at many hardware stores).
- Choose decorations that are flame-retardant only (these can be a major safety hazard at the holidays).
- You can find beautiful holiday decor almost anywhere right now, or check out a local holiday market.
- If you need some inspiration for DIY or any holiday design ideas, Pinterest is absolutely full of amazing ideas.
General Safety for the Holidays
- Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order, you’ll likely have additional people in your home during the holidays so you want to make sure everyone is safe.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure it’s had the maintenance done, these can be a real fire hazard.
- Light candles only where safe to do so, never near anything flammable and always blow them out when you leave a room.
- Use space heaters in open areas, and never near anything flammable or covered. Make sure to unplug space heaters when you’re not in the room as well.