How to celebrate Tourism Week with social distancing
May 24 – 31, 2020 is Alberta Tourism Week, an opportunity to celebrate all the places and businesses that make tourism great in our province, something even more important during this tough time.
“Alberta’s tourism industry, and the innovative tourism businesses behind it, play a valuable role in driving our economy forward. Alberta’s tourism industry has been faced with unprecedented challenges as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our tourism industry was one of the industries hit first and hit hardest, and we recognize there will be more challenges to overcome in the months and year ahead. Our province has so much to offer. This week, I encourage Albertans to safely and responsibly go out to support your local businesses and explore the unique attractions and landscapes in your communities.” [Alberta Government]
As this year will be a little different for Tourism Week, we want to celebrate the places that make our city a destination, but in a safe and new way. Here are some ideas to take in Tourism Week:
- Check out Instagram-worthy locations in Calgary, perfect for a photo op.
- Take a digital tour of Heritage Park
- Take a tour (digital or in-person) of some of the best public art in our city
- Head to the Calgary Zoo — it’s back open!
- Check out the Glenbow Museum from home
- Check out National Music Centre from the comfort of your home
- Cycle on one of these 10 great bike pathways in Calgary
There are so many amazing things happening in this city, even during this time. We recommend following Tourism Calgary on social media or checking out their website for lots of inspiration on how to spend Tourism Week (or every other week). Also, Best of Calgary is sharing good news stories each week as well so you can fill your feed with some positivity too.