Nominate an Amazing Calgarian for the ‘Calgary Awards’
For over 20 years, the City of Calgary has been recognizing citizens and organizations for their outstanding achievements, contributions and devotion to our city through The Calgary Awards. This long-standing program is one of the largest citizen recognition programs in the city and Calgarians are encouraged to nominate others for great contributions, whether that be an outstanding citizen, business or organization. If you believe that business deserves recognition for its community achievement, cast your vote now! Perhaps one of your neighbours, community influencers or co-workers goes above and beyond for this city – here’s your chance to speak up for them! Submit a Calgary Awards nomination today through this online form.
Follow this four-step process when submitting a nomination:
- Step 1: Review and select the award category for the individual, business, community group or organization you wish to nominate. Eligibility requirements can be found in the Calgary Awards brochure.
- Step 2: Prepare a one-to-five page letter of nomination that states how the individual or organization makes a difference in the community and why they are a deserving recipient in the category.
- Step 3: To enhance the nomination, including supporting materials such as letters of reference, testimonials, articles highlighting achievements and previous awards and honours. The combined nomination supporting materials must not exceed fourteen pages.
- Step 4: Submit your nomination package! Submissions can be made using the online nomination form or be directly mailed to the City of Calgary.
Once the votes are cast and the winners have been chosen, the Calgary Awards will distribute thirteen awards from five categories:
- The Community Achievement Awards– this category recognizes the outstanding contributions and achievements throughout the community and provides an opportunity to honour Calgary’s exceptional citizens through the following awards:
- Citizen of the Year
- Grant MacEwan Lifetime Achievement
- Community Advocate
- Community Advocate Organization
- The Environmental Achievement Award– this award recognizes environmental achievements for those who reduce our impact on and/or restore our city’s natural environment.
- The International Achievement Award– this award recognizes an exceptional individual whose personal and/or professional activities have gained international acclaim and brought significant recognition to Calgary.
- The Award for Accessibility– this award recognizes buildings or facilities within Calgary that significantly exceed the minimum requirements of Section 3.8 “Barrier-Free Design” of the Alberta Building Code for accessibility by persons with disabilities.
- The City of Calgary W.O. Mitchell Book Prize– this award is named in honour of Calgary writer W. O. Mitchell and recognizes the literary achievements of local authors. NOTE: the submission deadline for the book prize was Dec. 31, 2018.
If you know an individual or organization deserving of one of these awards, the nomination deadline is Monday, February 25. For more detailed information on the program, awards and nomination criteria, visit the Calgary Awards information page. Recipients of the 2018 Calgary Awards will be presented on June 12.