Tips for Choosing a Home Builder
There are many benefits to buying a brand new home, like money-saving and energy-efficiency to name a few. But we understand that there are a lot of choices out there for home builders in Calgary and Airdrie, so we want to help educate buyers so they can make the right choice with who to buy from or work with.
Here are some simple tips for choosing a home builder:
- Start with a list: make a list of the home builders in your area, you can find builders by accessing your local home builder’s association, in Alberta we have BILD – Calgary, where they have an online directory. You may also want to ask for recommendations from friends or families on builders as well.
- Do your research: look into the home builders you are considering and check out their accolades, as well as the communities or homes they have completed. It’s also a good idea to drive to some of the communities to see the developments up close and the homes in-person.
- Look for quality and value: when shopping around, tour some showhomes that will allow you to see how the homes are made (and get some inspiration for using the space as well). Pay close attention to craftsmanship, technology, innovation, options with features, etc.
Now comes time for the interview process, you will want to get some information from the home builder:
Questions for the builder
- Do you have a financing plan established?
- What’s the flexibility to add things with the floorplans, or change them in some way?
- Can rooms like the basement be left unfinished?
- What are the standard features and what can be customized?
- Are there additional fees with the home or development to be aware of?
- Can appliances be upgraded or downgraded?
- Are there additional fees with the community, such as Homeowners Association or community fees?
- Does the home price include landscaping?
- What are the warranty details: what is covered, for how long?
- What are the estimated property taxes?
- What are schools like in the area?
- What’s the proximity to amenities and emergency services?
- What are the development plans in the area for the next five years?
If you’re looking for a handy checklist and questionnaire to ask potential home builders, use this free one from CHBA – Alberta. Read this for information on how we build, and this for information on how you buy.