Energy-Saving Home Tips for Summer
Summer is in full swing, and we’re enjoying a streak of hot weather in Calgary and surrounding area. With the hotter temperatures, comes the need to stay cool at home; here’s some handy tips for saving energy during summer months.
- Move your dinner routine outside: take advantage of that BBQ and move your cooking outdoors, the minimized heat indoors will make a huge difference. You may also want to consider saving on lighting and cooling costs by moving your entertaining outdoors as well.
- Invest in a good fan: eliminating the need for an air conditioning unit will save you a lot of money and energy. Stand-alone or ceiling fans will keep you cool and don’t use up nearly as much energy as air conditioners.
- Plan your landscaping: by planting shrubs and trees strategically, you can offer some extra shade for your home on hot summer days.
- Add a screen door: having the ability to allow a breeze through your home with open windows and doors will make a huge difference in the temperature of your home.
- Air-dry your laundry: skipping out on any unnecessary appliances saves a surprising amount of energy (and money).
- Automate outdoor lighting: setup motion detectors for your outdoor lights so they’re only running when you need them.
- Automate your thermostat: put your thermostat on a timer so that the temperature is lowered even further during the day when nobody is home. Or if the heat is really bad, turn it off completely.
- Keep your blinds closed: keep blinds and window coverings drawn, you’d be surprised how much extra heat comes into your home just through your windows.
Do you have some other energy-saving heat tips that we missed? Share them with us on Twitter, and enjoy the summer sun!