This weekend marks a very special Canada Day celebration, as our country celebrates a 150th birthday! If you’re sticking around Calgary this long weekend, here’s a few ways you can take in the celebrations for Canada 150:
- Fort Calgary: activities include performances by the North West Mounted Police patrol band, free pancake breakfast and dressing up like a Mountie. Saturday, July 1 from 9am to 4pm at Fort Calgary. At 11am at Fort Calgary, you can also be part of a living Canada flag.
- Confederation Park: includes a free pancake breakfast, live music and opening of a 1967 time capsule! Celebrations at Confederation Park run this Saturday from 9am to 1pm.
- Olympic Plaza: see live music, dancing and take part in a citizenship reaffirmation ceremony at Olympic Plaza, from 10am to 6pm on Saturday.
- Riverfront Avenue: the annual Canada Day concert series is back this Saturday, with huge performances featuring Michael Bernard Fitzgerald and Tegan and Sara. You will also have prime seating for the fireworks display over the Bow River. Head to Riverfront Avenue from 10am to 11:45pm.
- Studio Bell: free admission to Studio Bell at the National Music Centre, from 10am to 5pm. Enjoy a history of music in Canada with interactive exhibits!
- East Village: pop-up shopping at the shipping containers, live music and more at East Village from 10am to 6pm this Saturday.
- Prince’s Island Park: celebrate Indigenous cultures with traditional crafts, dance lessons, live music and a powwow starting from 10am to 8:30pm at Prince’s Island Park.
- Eau Claire Plaza: free ice cream for the first 1,000 visitors! Live entertainment, face painting, artisan market and more at Eau Claire Plaza from 11am to 9pm on Saturday.
- Downtown Calgary: on the Stephen Avenue Walk, you’ll see a variety of live Canadian music acts, and also on the second floor of The Core. Head Downtown on Saturday between 11am and 5pm.
- Prairie Winds Park: Join Muslim organization Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamā’at (AMJ) for flag hoisting, a children’s performance of our national anthem, free BBQ, and a tour of Baitun Nur, one of the largest mosques in Canada. All happening this Saturday from 11am to 2pm at Prairie Winds Park.
Full details on everything the City of Calgary has planned this Saturday for Canada Day can be found online here. And be sure to tag your moments with #Canada150 on social media.