How to celebrate Easter in Calgary
Easter is here and there are plenty of things to do in and around Calgary this upcoming weekend. You’ll find everything from egg hunts and delicious brunch to drinking tea on the top of a mountain. No matter what your family enjoys doing together, there’s something here for everyone. Here are some of our top picks:
- Butterfield Acres has egg hunts on April 19 and 20. The day will start with the telling of the Legend of the Easter Bunny. Everyone will be informed of their objective, given baskets to collect in and the egg hunt begins! Kids will also go home with their very own Easter pot that they will plant themselves.
- Sunshine Village is hosting an egg hunt at the top of the Strawberry Chair on April 20 and 21. From 11am-2pm, meet Mr and Mrs Bunny in the village before heading up the chair to start your egg hunt at 11:30 am. They will also be hosting a non-denominational Easter church service at 10 am before the festivities.
- Head down to Prince’s Island Park for brunch along the beautiful Bow River. River Cafe will be hosting brunch on April 20 and 21, boasting to have one of the best menus in the city. They won’t let you down when it comes to food or location.
- Fairmont at the Banff Springs Hotel has an afternoon tea and brunch on April 20 and 21. It’s a bit of a drive, but the spectacular views while you eat are worth it. When you’re done eating, ride up the Sulphur Mountain Gondola, hit the hot springs or simply wander around the picturesque townsite to breathe in that fresh mountain air.
- Easter Eggstravaganza at the Calgary Zoo is the best way to say goodbye to winter and welcome spring with open arms. There will be face painting, arts and crafts for the kids to enjoy. Plus, don’t forget about all the animals who will be out enjoying the fresh, spring air.
- On April 20, Cineplex will have special screenings of the 2011 animated movie ‘Hop.’ This family-friendly cartoon follows E.B, the Easter Bunny’s son, who heads to Los Angeles to become a drummer in a rock-n-roll band. It stars Russell Brand, James Marsden and Elizabeth Perkins.
- Head to Lake Louise this weekend to meet the Easter Bunny and, on April 21, race in the cardboard box downhill derby. Will you be faster than the Easter Bunny? Come find out!
Regardless of what you’re in the mood for this weekend, there are plenty of options. From exploring the zoo and wandering Banff to brunching downtown and searching for eggs, there is something here for everyone. Plus, if the weather is bad, you can always grab some popcorn and enjoy a kid-friendly movie.
Happy Easter, Calgary!