How to show your home some love this month
Valentine’s Day is this weekend, and while you’re sharing the love with people in your life, it’s a perfect opportunity to show your home the same courtesy too. Whether you’re a happy homeowner, moving on or just moved in, here’s ten easy ways to love your home this weekend.
- Clean: a reminder that it’s a long weekend this weekend as well, so finding the time for cleaning will be a little easier this week. In a perfect scenario, you could deep clean your whole home in a couple days, but even if you just pick one room, really clean it. Clean everything from the hinges, doors, walls and everything in between, and see how great you feel (and how great it looks too).
- De-clutter: getting rid of excess items in your home will benefit you twofold—adding square footage and clearing some space for your wellbeing as well. Some studies have shown that clutter can be tied to increased stress levels of homeowners. Added bonus, you can even share some love with someone else too by donating the items you get rid of.
- Rearrange: whether a big space or a small one, you can give a room a big rejuvenation by simply moving around some of the existing furniture or decor items there. You may even find when you rearrange a room that the flow is much better afterwards and possibly even uncovering some extra space at home.
- Paint: brighten or refresh a room in your home by simply adding a coat of paint, perhaps something brighter? You may also want to try out the Pantone Colours of the Year for 2016: Serenity and Rose Quartz. For a small but bold change, try painting some old furniture for a new look.
- Add some flowers: bring home a bouquet of flowers or a fresh plant, the presence of some beauty will be a nice addition to your home, not to mention the added fresh air and beautiful scent.
- Lighten: get around to replacing all the burnt out bulbs in your home, or replacing all your bulbs with new eco-friendly ones (which will also save you money). In addition, adding a lamp to a darker room will not only lighten it, but oftentimes give the impression of more space as well.
- Add art: give some life to those bare walls at home with a new piece of artwork. If you’re a do-it-yourselfer, check out our Pinterest board for some wall decor ideas.
- Scents: buy some great smelling candles or incense and bring some new scents into your home. For a DIY option, try boiling water with some cinnamon sticks in it for a quick and easy way to fill your home with a cozy scent.
- Change your sheets: when was the last time you put on a crisp, fresh set of sheets on your bed? Changing up your bedding will make your next sleep feel like the first time in your bed.
- Entertain: show some pride in your home and have some friends or family over for coffee, dinner or an evening party. Spending some time in the home you love is the ultimate way to give back, so bring over some loved ones for Valentine’s Day or long weekend fun.
Do you have more great ideas on showing your home some love? Please share them with us on Twitter!