Join Your Community Association
If you’re looking for a great way to get involved in your neighbourhood, check out your community association. Every Calgary neighbourhood has a community association, and there are lots of reasons to join your community association.
Community associations are neighbourhood-based volunteer groups that provide a voice for the community, and are dedicated to addressing local issues, opportunities and needs. It’s a great way to support the community you live in, and take part in recreational activities, social events and local opportunities.
Quick facts about community associations in Calgary:
- About 100 community associations also operate halls and facilities
- There are over 20,000 Calgarians involved in community associations, making it the city’s largest volunteer movement
- Annually, over 2.4 million hours of volunteer public service are contributed by community association members (a monetary value of over $28 million)
- Community associations are individually registered as a society under the Alberta Government Societies Act (meaning they each have a governing board of directors)
The Federation of Calgary Communities is a non-profit organization that supports Calgary’s community associations and its members and residents. They provide services such as:
- Financial services
- Urban planning
- Member services
- Communications and community relations
- Volunteer recognition
- Educational workshops and seminars
- Networking events
If you’re looking for information on how to join your community association, the Federation of Calgary Communities has a complete list of Calgary’s community associations, and contact information for them. If you’re not looking to join your association, but learn more about the opportunities and services they provide for your community, you can also find that our on the Federation of Calgary Communities’ website.