Since April is Garden Month, it’s the perfect time to get into the spirit of the season, with some Spring gardening. After a long bout of cold, wet weather, your garden will need some love in preparation for warmer weather. Take advantage of the sunnier days, and get outside and in the garden with these helpful tips.
- Plant new trees and shrubs, early Spring weather is perfect for new growth, as it’s cool and moist still.
- ‘Cool’ annuals can be planted at this time of year: pansies, violas, poppies, snapdragons, etc.
- Start your seed planting this month as well, if the weather seems too cool, you can always start seedlings indoors and then transfer them to your garden.
- Certain vegetables can be grown in this Spring weather: carrots, radishes, spinach, for example.
- Prune any shrubs you have growing before the new growth comes in, this includes rose bushes.
- Spread mulch now, as it prevents weeds from growing in your garden. You’ll want to spread mulch in a two inch layer in your garden.