The best places to camp near Calgary
June is celebrated in North America as ‘National Camping Month‘, and June gives us more than a few reasons to break out the tent or RV and get the family close to nature.
Unlike many other types of trips, a camping vacation gives you the opportunity to literally do nothing for a weekend or even longer. Once your tent and campsite is set-up, you don’t have to worry about cleaning, laundry, putting on your best outfit for an evening out, grocery shopping or any other tasks that seem to consume our everyday lives. And it’s a chance for you to turn off the smartphone, computer and other electronics to just sit back and relax. [Reader’s Digest]
For residents of Calgary, we are lucky to have so many great camping options right in our city or within close range to Calgary. Here are just a few of the great places to camp in and around Calgary:
- Calgary West Campground: located right within the city limits, with WinSport at your step, you can enjoy camping right close to home. Over 300 sites, electrical hookup and free wifi, more information here.
- Tunnel Mountain campground: located in Banff National Park (which has free entry this year for Canada 150), this campground offers camping for tents or RVs, free firewood, and nightly theatre shows. More information online.
- Beaver Flats campground: located within an hour of Calgary in K-country, this campground is located alongside a river and offers scenic camping. More information online.
- Aspen Crossing: located in the small hamlet of Mossleigh, is this historic train-themed town just south of the city. You’ll have plenty to do here, and enjoy the campground as well. More information online.
- Mountain View Calgary campground: just three kilometres from Calgary to the west, is this campground, close to Calaway Park and lots of city attractions. More information online.
- Calaway Park campground: take in this family attraction and enjoy the camping experience all without leaving the city. This campground features 104 tent and RV sites with access to showers, laundry and wifi. More information online.
Looking for some additional camping options a little further than the ones we’ve mentioned above? Tourism Calgary has a great list of top-rated campgrounds located within an hour or two from our city. Where is your favourite nearby camping spot? Share it with us on social media!