Tips for Spring Home Hunters
Spring is in the air, and this is notoriously the time of year when the real estate and home buying markets pick up in a big way. If you’re thinking about buying your first home, upgrading to a new home or downsizing this spring, here’s some tips for navigating the market.
- Make a list of must-haves and wants: write down all the things that are priorities for your home (location, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.), as well as a list of things that would sweeten the deal (tech features, landscaping, etc.). This will come in handy when you’re browsing for homes and making decisions between them.
- Get pre-approved: before you even start the search for a home, find out not only what you can afford, but what you can get approved for. Visit a mortgage professional and get pre-approved for a loan amount, that way when you find something you love, you’re not waiting on lenders and paperwork when you’re competing for a home.
- Buy with your head not your heart: some of the best advice you can use about home buying, at any time of year, is to shop for homes with your head and not your heart. Sometimes we get stuck on a small detail and forget what’s really important and what makes sense for a great investment.
If you’re looking to buy a brand new home, there are many benefits, but here’s some things to keep in mind when home buying in new communities:
- Location: how long will it take to get to work? Are there schools and daycare services nearby? How far is it from shopping and other services? How close are you to medical and emergency facilities, parks, playgrounds and recreation areas?
- Community: what will the neighbourhood look like when completed? What are the architectural controls for the neighbourhood? What kind of development is planned for the surrounding areas?
- Emergency Services: how close is the nearest Police Station and Fire House? How quickly can they respond?
- Transit: how close are you to public transit – light rail and bus transportation? Are there bike and walking paths?
If you’re home hunting this spring, please feel free to check out our selection of both quick possession and spec homes available. And you can always reach out anytime on Twitter to ask any questions.