Just days away from the biggest holiday weekend of the year! Hopefully you are feeling prepared and ready for the big weekend, but just in case there are some things left to do, here’s a last-minute holiday prep checklist.
- Create a schedule: it will be easier to coordinate events, travel, guests, running errands, etc. if you have a schedule with everything you need to get done before the big day.
- Do an inventory: make a list of everything you have already and everything you still need: dinnerware, presents, groceries, etc.
- Get your shopping done! Hopefully, all you have left to shop for is the groceries for all the feasting you’ll be doing this weekend. But if you still need to do some gift shopping, you’re running out of time. Try to go local shops that won’t have big lines, or head to the malls during non-peak hours (during regular business hours rather than after work).
- Check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors: you’ll likely have additional people in your home during the holidays so you want to make sure everyone is safe.
- Design your Christmas table: the holidays brings people together around your table, so give it some festive appeal. There are many ways, both simple and extravagant, to create a Christmas tablescape.
- Prepare for overnight guests: this means ensuring the bathrooms are cleaned and well stocked with extra towels, toilet paper, etc. Have a bedroom setup with bedding, and in most cases—keep the coffee stocked!
- Be ready for seniors and babies: make sure your driveway and walkway is clear and easily accessible, as well as clear railings on stairs. Baby-proof your home if necessary and keep hazardous and dangerous items out of reach for children.
- Clean! Tidy your home, especially the rooms in which you’ll be entertaining. Make sure the kitchen is especially clutter-free, to prepare for all the food and people that will be coming in and out.
- Stay safe: stay on top of safety considerations like keeping your tree watered and walkway clear.
The most important step of all—have an a very happy holiday weekend with whoever you are spending time with!