How to Celebrate Family Day in Calgary and Airdrie
This weekend is all about spending time with the people you love, with Valentine’s Day on Sunday, and Family Day on Monday. If you’re looking for some fun ways to share the holiday long weekend with your family, here’s the free (or nearly free) events and activities to check out in Calgary and Airdrie on Monday, February 15th.
- Family Skate at Olympic Oval: enjoy free skating with the family along with food, refreshments, music and free parking as well. Location: Olympic Oval (2500 University Dr NW), from 12 to 5pm.
- Nature Skates: enjoy some outdoor skating at one of three outdoor skating rinks in Calgary parks, the best part is—it’s free. Locations: Bowness Park (8900 48 Ave NW), Carburn Park (67 Riverview Drive SE), Prince’s Island Park (698 Eau Claire Ave SW).
- YYC Hot Chocolate Fest: indulge in a delicious hot chocolate while supporting a great cause, YYC Hot Chocolate Fest is currently on in Calgary, with 32 local vendors looking to win your votes. Try a few, and it’s all in support of Meals on Wheels. Find a YYC Hot Chocolate Fest vendor online.
- Frostbite Run: experience a train ride through the snow banks (if there’s any left), enjoy hot chocolate and more. Location: Iron Horse Park (820 Railway Gate SW), from 11am to 3pm.
- Family Day Ice Fishing: the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association (AHFA) is hosting the sixth annual free ice fishing event at Chain Lakes. During this event people can fish for free without a license. The event kicks off at 9am, details can be found here.
For a roundup of family-friendly events going on throughout the long weekend, check out the Avenue Magazine online events calendar. Enjoy the Family Day long weekend!